Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Best friends

My name is Charlie. I'm Amber Lee's best friend, and I am a dog. I have alot of adventures with Amber and I learn about something new every day. Sometimes through alot of moaning and growling, and other times with peace and serenity. Today Amber went to work and she is starting all over again on a new chapter of life. Sometimes it's hard to let go of things from the past. I hang on to things so tight sometimes that my jaw locks. I will bark, and howl, and pout..and pee on everything around me and then look around and wonder what I possibly did wrong. I guess I'm what you call a "fixer-upper."

Amber's feelings were hurt when a friend told her she wasn't "fixed up" enough and that she had behaved badly by making everything about her. This is a friend who was truly not a friend, but in a popularity contest. So sometimes no matter how hard we try to please others you have to be loving and kind and patient with those you care about. Amber cried and I curled up with her as I always do, because it's not other people that can make us happy but ourselves. Amber is working hard at her new job as a television producer. Sometimes she comes home at night and continues working until her eyes pop out of her head. It's that aim to please, the desire to do good. The feeling of wanting to belong, to connect, to create.

Life is a wonderful journey and our life is truly blessed. Sometimes you just need to look at things through a new pair of glasses. Tonight we are going to curl up with a blanket at the end of the day, with a new pair of glasses and a good book.