Friday, November 7, 2008

A guide to recognizing your saints


I am yawning and licking myself awake this morning. I stayed up late waiting for Amber to come home from the DESERTERS show last night. I wanted to hear all about it, but my ears could only stay perked for so long. We are used to going to bed early, and waking up early—but our schedule is ejected because of good old rock and roll. Our closest friend and neighbor Angie Bruyerre had a show for Marlboro where she could win 15,000.00 if chosen. She is already a finalist. Her talent and songs unzip everyone who hear them, and she is a true rockstar in every sense of the word. Amber wishes she could let the whole world hear her sing. Longtime friends came to support her, and Amber was happy to see all of them. After becoming sober, she has not spent as much time at the party as she would before, so last night was a special treat. She drank too much expensive Red Bull and smoked too many fags.

Amber met some new friends she really liked, Jennifer-Misty’s dear friend, and Dito Montiel, who Amber has wanted to meet for some time. She recognizes the similarities in their lives, and admires his courage, talents, and strength. He is also an absolutely handsome chap, but Amber likes who people are within. Anyone can be beautiful with a quick trip to Beverly Hills, but real beauty is inside out. There were some television stars in the audience that linger in places like Troubadour, and Amber acknowledged how much she loves Hollywood. Dreams coming true, dreams broken, dreams becoming more than a flicker of a thought. It’s the city of Angels….and those angels can be the death of us, or they can protect and guide us. I like doing it Montiel’s way. I use “A guide to recognizing your Saints” and I never truly leave my lessons without having them learned. By the time Amber finally got home, my wagging tail never stopped as she tucked in for bed, with an exhausted smile, and let her own dreams fill the universe.