Monday, December 1, 2008

Tied up in doggie-wood




The Rolling Stones said “You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need.”

Today I am feeling like I need more than what I have. My bone isn’t good enough, my doggie bed isn’t fluffy enough, my bows aren’t the right color, my fur is too spotted, and my tail is too dull. Needing and wanting are two different things all together, but when they blend together it is hard to distinguish the difference.

Amber is missing her family very much. She misses the mountains, and the white house, and the hugs, and the kisses, and the understanding, and the love. She feels like she is alone again, and isn’t even paying much attention to us doggies, and our fish Thelma and Louise are swimming around wondering what is wrong with her?

How can someone feel so hopeful and happy in one moment and so confused and alone in the next? Perhaps it’s because she is back in the big game and the chase of succeeding in career? Perhaps it’s the break-up of her and a guy who didn’t fit each other, or perhaps that the nostalgia of being home is drifting away. Los Angeles is the kind of town that sort of ties you in knots, and the fast paced life is hard to reunite with after being home. Sometimes when you are in knots it's hard to remember your authentic pup within.



Amber loves her job, and the creative influence she gives, and is so glad to be back. Chuck and Erin are very dear co-workers and friends, and she could not ask for a better opportunity or better team to be around. Maybe it isn’t a depression she is feeling, but a wish that she could bring the entire village of people she loves into one central location.



The truth is that they are in one location: her heart.

I will rub my wet nose on her, and whine until she hears me. Life is good, even if sometimes we forget the blessings we already have. So I will wear my stupid bows, and funny Christmas sweater, and pray that bah humbug doesn’t hit.